When we meet with potential new clients, one of the questions we are repeatedly asked is “how long with the design process take”? And really, there is not a standard answer. I know, I know. It sounds like how a politician would reply.
I took a quick minute to share my thoughts and insight on this design related topic in the video below:
There are many factors that go into the duration of a design project:
- Size of the room(s) – because an oversized room will take longer than an average sized room to solve design dilemmas AND possibly make twice as many selections.
- Scope of the project – does it include any construction? Or just furnishings?
- If there is remodel, is it just a “facelift”? Or do we need to draw up construction documents?
- How many design or selection revisions are requested will impact the overall time to completion.
- The ability of the client to make decisions in a timely manner. If you can’t decide, I can’t move forward.
- The furniture delivery lead time. Some vendors are local and have their inventory on hand, and others ship from overseas.
Those last two points are out of our control but definitely impacts the duration of the process.
We do follow our internal 16-step process for all projects. This is a system that keeps us on time and on budget when managing projects, both large & small.
Keep in mind:
All projects can be expedited.
All projects can be broken down into phases.
But how long the design process takes is not a cookie cutter answer. Because you don’t want your house to have a cookie cutter outcome.
Regardless, my team and I will be in your life for a while. But we’re fun. 🙂
I hope this information helps shed some insight! If you have a project you’d like us to review and give you an estimate on duration, please give us a call!