Do you have one of those bright gold, brass colored fireplace screens? You know what I’m talking about. It’s circa the 1980’s and looks something like this:
This baby catches your eye as soon as you walk into the room and screams “LOOK AT ME”. It’s kind of like when you get a blemish on your chin and it’s all you can see when you look in the mirror, no matter how good of a hair day you’re having. I know that doesn’t just happen to me….
Anywaaaaaay, what can do if you don’t want to replace it altogether? Maybe you’re moving and don’t want to sink $100+ into replacing it or maybe you’re just sick of looking at it and have to have an alternative NOW. Regardless, here is an easy solution in less than 10 steps and less than $10!
- Remove the screen.
- Wipe it down to get rid of the dust – use a lint free cloth.
- Mask off the windows with painter’s tape & cover the glass with a brown paper bag or newspaper.
- Use a very low grade sandpaper and rough the brass up just a little.
- Use a can of heat-resistant spray paint and give this baby a makeover! I would suggest layering a black and a bronze colored textured paint so you have a little visual interest. Rustoleum brand has quite a few to choose from – just make sure it’s heat resistant.
- Hold the can about 18″ from the brass and spray in long, even strokes.
- Let each layer dry before adding the next coat (heavy black layer, light bronze layer, light black layer). Be careful not to spray too much – you don’t want drips!
For less than $10 you have a lovely new fireplace screen that will help your sale or your sanity from going up in smoke!