Black Friday. Cyber Monday. Whatever your preference, and regardless of the time of year – but especially during the holidays – the convenience of online shopping comes with a price, and we don’t mean shipping fees! Theft of packages left on front porches and door steps are on the rise. Here are a few tips to help keep those online orders signed, sealed and delivered safely.
- Office Delivery. We often have our personal packages delivered to the office. With commercial hours, the Post Office, FedEx, UPS and other delivery services know when we are open and wait until the next business day to make that delivery. Our neighboring businesses keep different hours and we often hold packages for them, and likewise, they’ll hold a package for us. If you can ship your purchases to your workplace, those packages will be sitting next to you at the office and are not sitting on your front porch.
- Follow Tracking Information Closely. If you don’t have an office to ship to, keep a close eye on the tracking timeline provided by the retailer. They are pretty accurate and you can make sure someone is available to receive the package.
- Amazon Locker. This new service at Amazon lets you choose a location to pick up your online purchases. They provide you a code when the item has arrived. Locations are everywhere! But buyer beware, some of these pick up spots are retail locations- don’t be tempted by impulse purchases and ruin your budget!
4. Use a receiver or local UPS/Fed Ex Store. Since we don’t have a warehouse location or loading dock, we have many items sent to a local “receiver” who specializes in large items. It is a great service and they take inventory and inspects each item as it arrives. The same service is available if you wanted to ship your packages to them; it does come with a price, however the storage fees aren’t too bad and you can pick up all your items at once. Along the same lines, local UPS and FedEx stores often have PO boxes for rent. A temporary PO address during the holidays would be a great solution to prevent packages being taking from your home.
5. Video Monitoring. While video monitoring is a great deterrent for criminals, it doesn’t always prevent the crime – although it may help to catch the criminal!
There are many ways to prevent packages from being stolen from your front door step. Being home all day is not an option for everyone. Being aware and staying on top of deliveries and following some easy steps can help your deliveries arrive securely.
I’ll be back soon ~