It’s that time of year again! And even if you’re not sending a child to college this year, these tips and favorite selections are applicable for decorating teen bedrooms too.
Let’s start with a list. I love lists.
- Bedding – I suggest (2 sets) white sheets because they are easy to bleach repeatedly, a light weight blanket and a comforter. Double check the size of bed that your dorm has.
I love this bedding from Target, you can click on the image to take you to the link. If you’re decorating for a guy, I suggest navy blue or red (just not together, because with the white sheets, your son will look like he is sleeping on a flag).
Any chance you can coordinate with your roomie is a total bonus.
- Bedside lamp & desk lamp – this is a great place to add another pop of color.
- Small trash can.
- White Christmas or twinkle lights add a “fancy” touch to any dorm room with very little investment.
- Storage bins (including some that will fit under the bed).
- Bulletin board + pushpins. These are fun to personalize, and the people at Apartment Therapy have an awesome DIY suggestions:
- Alarm / clock radio (even if they use their smart phone, it’s always good to have a back up alarm).
- Even though most work is done online, bright desk organization is key to keeping track of office supplies and any papers. I love the Bigso Bright selections from The Container Store.
If you are looking for an all inclusive packing list, check out the checklist HERE.
And for more dorm decorating ideas, you can check out my Pinterest Board HERE.
Let me know what other suggestions you have for decorating a dorm room (or your teen’s bedroom). I would love to hear from you!