Rule #1: That’s right, it’s a Rule. If you forego this, then all of the brilliant Tips below are moot. Are you ready? The most important point is: Everything In Its Place. That means that you start with everything you own and designate a home for it. Once you have a place for your keys, your dirty clothes, your (insert anything here), then you’ll be able to locate it anytime you need it and not waste time searching. Sounds easy but it takes practice…and then evaluation…and then revision. But the following Tips build on this Rule and should help you get started:
• Start the morning at the beverage station. Set up your coffee maker below the cabinet that holds your coffee cups. Then relocate the tea, cocoa, sugar, honey, creamer and anything else applicable into the cabinet as well and voila – all you need is your own Barista.
• Once you’ve made your coffee, it is time to eat…create a space in the kitchen, or a shelf in the pantry that is strictly for your breakfast items: cereal, Pop Tarts, oatmeal, muffin mix, etc. Repeat this philosophy with your pastas, rice varieties, baking items, canned vegetables, soups, and everything in your pantry. You’ll be surprised how many duplicates you prevent the purchase of.
• Organize your makeup so it looks pretty too.
o Get a low profile vase, fill it with coffee beans and use it to put your make up brushes in so you can display them AND have easy access.
o Use a silverware or desk drawer organizer to consolidate the rest of your items (including tweezers, that pesky pencil sharpener, lash curler replacements, and so forth).
o Use a Sharpie to write the date the makeup is opened so you know when to dispose of it. Then keep the Sharpie in the drawer with your other goodies. Yeah, baby, you’re getting the hang of this!
• Get dressed in a closet that is color coordinated so you’re not searching for “that” white shirt all over the place…because now it’s hanging with all of the other white shirts you own.
o Rotate your closet by season (as much as possible in Texas). And if you haven’t worn it in 2 years – donate it. It doesn’t matter if you’ll “fit back into those jeans again someday”…treat yourself to a new pair when you do.
• Organize your accessories with your necklaces hanging on thumbtacks in the wall (I like the clear thumbtacks best) – or a jewelry stand on a closet shelf.
o Earrings can be paired in ice cube trays and stacked or stored in drawers.
o Put your “fancy” jewelry in a jewelry box and put it out of the way.
o Get a nice finger bowl to put your “every day” jewelry in for easy access.
o Hang a small mirror in the closet so you can assess your accessorizing immediately.
• Refer to Rule #1 and designate a space where you ALWAYS put your keys and your handbag when you enter the house, so you can ALWAYS find them easily on your way out. Put any outgoing mail, shopping lists, and items to return there too so you don’t walk out without them!
• Have a fantastic day because your morning was so easy!